Tuesday, January 4, 2011

Lucky Lentil Soup

One thing I'm really focusing on this year is cooking more for my family. I love it when we all sit down at the table together and have a home cooked meal. Now, we don't always all eat the same thing but that's life with two toddlers! I get several recipe newsletters each week and recently one of them contained a great recipe for lentil soup. I had a yummy lentil soup as an appetizer on one of our date nights in December so I was excited to get a recipe that sounded both easy and good. I made it over the long New Years holiday and it is very easy and very good. The prep time is only 15 minutes and it serves 4-6 people. Enjoy!

Ingredients:

  • 1 onion, chopped
  • 3 stalks of celery, sliced
  • 1 large carrot, sliced
  • 4 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1 to 2 cups mushrooms, sliced
  • 2 tsp olive oil
  • 8 ounces light sausage, cut into slices
  • 1 bag (16-ounce) dried lentils, rinsed
  • 7 cups (approximately) chicken broth

Directions:

1. In a large saucepan, sauté onion, celery, carrots, garlic and mushrooms in olive oil until onions are slightly brown. 2. Add the sausage and lentils and cover with chicken broth (about 7 cups). 3. Simmer for 1 hour until all of the liquid has been absorbed.

Pin It

No comments: