Monday, July 23, 2012

Green Thumb

Confession--me and plants just don't get along. I buy them with the best of intentions (i.e. keeping them alive) yet, I never seem to succeed. So, I've grown accustomed to the artificial kind that I can use to decorate--just dust and forget about for a few months with no water needed.

Recently, while on one of our weekend trips to Lowe's, we thought it would be pretty neat and educational for the boys if we grew a vegetable & flower garden (as I stand in the aisle laughing uncontrollably on the inside). I admit, all the cute little seed packets absolutely appealed to me and although growing something myself seemed like an enormous task, I was game for the challenge.

Rather than an in-ground or a raised bed garden, we opted to start small and assess our progress. We purchased four Jack Daniels whiskey barrels and selected our seeds. We decided on cantaloupe, carrots, cucumbers, grape tomatoes, green beans, green onions, radishes, Roma tomatoes, squash, sunflowers, tomatoes, and zucchini. We planted and waited. And waited, and waited all while remembering to water our seeds (HUGE accomplishment). Here is a picture of one of our garden barrels....

How awesome is that?!?! We are more than excited as we actually grew something we can eat and use in our house. Here are some of the Instagram photos I took of individual vegetables and sunflowers....


Aren't these super cool?!?! We've successfully grown cucumbers, grape tomatoes, radishes, squash,  sunflowers and zucchini. Some of them aren't quiet big enough to share in a photograph just yet, but I will share as soon as they are bigger. So, the point of my post is that even when you face something you've never ever been successful in doing before (keeping plants alive), try it in a different manner (growing a vegetable & flower garden) with a new outlook (teaching the boys the importance of growing something); you just may surprise yourself! I know I sure did!!

Pin It

No comments: