Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Knowledge Is a Good Thing

Last Thursday was our final Interior Design 101 session. We discussed window treatments and fabric and looked at some hot trends from the High Point Furniture Market--GOOD STUFF! I am so glad that I took this class. Not only did I get to meet several "designer wannabes" like myself, I really feel like I learned a lot about design. There is a follow-up series in the spring and I definitely plan to sign up so I can increase my design knowledge. So, since so many of you LOVE design too, I thought I'd share some of my new found knowledge: 1. The Color Wheel is a visual representation of colors arranged according to their chromatic relationship--the primary hues are equidistant from one another and are bridged using secondary and tertiary colors. A. Primary Colors--those colors at their basic essence which cannot be created by mixing others. B. Secondary Colors--those colors achieved by a mixture of two primaries. C. Tertiary Colors--those colors achieved by a mixture of primary and secondary hues. D. Complementary Colors--those colors located opposite each other on the color wheel. E. Analogous Colors--those colors located close together on the color wheel. Did you know there was a Color Council? I didn't but what a GREAT council to serve on--where do I sign up? Apparently, this council gets to pick colors every two years which comprise the market colors found in paint decks! 2. A few design rules of note: (a) all the lampshades in a room should be the same color; and (b) you should never use furniture in a room that has all legs showing--you should mix it up with some skirted pieces EXCEPT if your style is Transitional or if you have a period room, such as Victorian. 3. If you are having furniture reupholstered, you should always label the face side of your fabric. Some fabrics are pretty on both sides and it can be difficult to determine which is the front and which is the back. Mark it clearly so the upholsterer does not make a costly mistake! 4. All lining on your window treatments should be the same, especially those window treatments on the front of your home. This is important because from the street, passers-by can only see the lining and you want them to match. This rule becomes bendable when you have blinds or plantation shutters. 5. A piece of upholstered furniture, such as a sofa, which is 8-Way Hand Tied is of exceptional quality. If you can find this type of construction, buy it and it will last a very long time! 6. Space Planning is key to good design. One should always measure their space before purchasing key pieces for a room to avoid costly mistakes. Obtain your field measurements by measuring the length and width of your space (LxW). Include the molding as part of your wall measurement. Take these measurements with you when you're shopping for furniture and window treatments (I also bring along a tap measure)! Pin It

No comments: