Wednesday, October 20, 2010

A Crafty Space

Remember here when I told you I was working on a craft room redo. Well, I feel like I have made enough progress to be able to show you the beginnings of my new craft room. I'm still working on the curtains, the finished cushion for the window seat, a rug, and some crafty touches but the room is presentable. Let's take a quick tour:
Sewing Station As you enter the room, the first thing to your left is my sewing station. The antique sewing machine is from my great aunt in Tennessee. The old machine is still inside, along with some of my great aunts sewing supplies--they are pretty neat. I decided to use it as a table for my first sewing machine and I've organized a few sewing essentials above on the wall-mounted shelf.
Window Seat Ray built this window seat for me and I love it! He gave me some open storage space and used a decorative trim for the facing. I made a quick seat cushion out of an old bedspread and a piece of mattress foam. I plan to dress it up a bit with some trim but I'm still working out the details. The open storage space will house large wicker baskets for lampshades, wrapping paper, ribbon, and other project materials. Doesn't it look like a nice place to sit and relax with a design book?
Desk, Computer Station & Monogram Station In the center of the room is my desk, the computer station and my new monogramming station. To say that I'm super pumped about this area is an understatement! You may remember the desk from this post. Well, it got a new coat of beautiful red paint and a dainty medallion on the front. The computer station was a gift from Ray's office. We removed the brass drawer pulls and painted it the same beautiful red as the desk. As for the new monogram station, well, it deserves a close-up: Monogram Station This has been my best find to date. If you don't remember the story behind this great dresser, read about it here. After some sanding and painting, it has finally become my monogram station. There is plenty of work surface and I couldn't be happier. The door handles and two-prong draw pulls will eventually be replaced with some "girly" one's but for now, a little spray paint did the trick. The drawers are full of patterns, fabric, design magazines and accessories. I LOVE this station and already have some projects lined up--I'll share those with you later!
Crafting Armoire This little piece of furniture has certainly been worth it's weight in gold. I think it has every crafting supply known to man inside (or at least if not, pretty close to it)! To work on a project, all I have to do is open it up and go to it. If I don't finish, I can close the doors up and wa-la, the room is clean again!
Scentsy Storage This dresser was a thrift store find. We desperately needed an extra dresser for our guest room and did not want to spend a lot of money on it. I got this one for $22 and we gave it a fresh coat of paint. Since the guest room is now the craft room, I decided to house my Scentsy business products here for easy access. What is Scentsy you ask? Visit here for more details. Again, the plan is to replace these drawer pulls a bit later. And, see those pieces of wood on the right-hand side? Those are another project I'll be sharing with you soon. I promise, you'll want one of your very own! This is just some fabric rolls, sparkle picks and a stash of Martha Stewart magazines. Gotta have some inspiration! And, the "DESIGN" letters on the wall. Those came from Hobby Lobby and were $1.99 each. I painted them the same color of red and glued them to the wall with Elmer's glue.
I must say, I'm happy with my new space and can't wait to get started on some new projects. Hope you enjoyed the tour and that you come back to see some of my new creations!
Pin It

7 comments:

Emily Powell said...

I used to have a craft room...until we needed a nursery :) We have that same antique sewing maching...or my mom does I mean. The space looks nice.

Jamie Kubeczka said...

How pretty! I would love to have a little space of my own.

Ned Polian said...

I like your post. It is good to see you verbalize from the heart and clarity on this important subject can be easily observed. beginner sewing machine

Ned Polian said...

I like your post. It is good to see you verbalize from the heart and clarity on this important subject can be easily observed. beginner sewing machine

Kristina Perrin said...

I really love your cushions. Wish I could sew such as well. I want to learn sewing. Which machine do you use? Can you please recommend a good sewing machine for beginners for me? I am pretty new and would love to learn.
Thanks

bestbikegreeks giri said...

https://www.bostonbikes.org/hybrid-bikes/schwinn-sidewinder-review/

bestbikegreeks said...

This was an great article but you can also read schwinn sidewinder reviews